Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Eating before running

When I was in high school, our coaches for cross country often hosted a pasta party the night before a big race. We were told that pasta would help give us the fuel and energy we needed for the race the next day.  According to, http://running.about.com/od/nutritionandhydration/f/preruneating.htm, it is important not to eat right before you go on a run because this may cause you to have cramps.  On the other hand, if you do not eat anything at all you may not have enough energy to make it through the run.  You should eat a light meal or a small snack about an hour before your run.  Usually, I prefer to eat something like a granola bar or a banana; very light but filling.  My coaches seemed to be right about eating pasta the night before the race; the carbohydrates in the pasta and low amounts of fat helped increase the amount of energy I was able to exert during a race.  Some favorite pre-run meals found on this website include; a potato, oatmeal(also one of my favorites), coffee( which I found very surprising; I would not recommend coffee before a run because it can cause dehydration), and bagels with peanut butter. As always remember to drink lots of water!

Source:
"Should I Eat Before A Run?" About.com Running & Jogging. Web. 28 Feb. 2012. <http://running.about.com/od/nutritionandhydration/f/preruneating.htm>.

No comments:

Post a Comment