Wednesday, May 2, 2012
healthy eating for college students
If you look into some of my previous blogs dating from early March to the end of March, you will see a few recipes that I have recommended to you that have nutritional value. Being a college student, it is often hard to be able to have the money to get certain ingredients and eat a healthy meal on a day to day basis. Have you heard of the freshman fifteen? It is common that students gain at least fifteen pounds in their first year away at college because of new eating habits. The cafeteria food is high in calories and fat and also students are eating more often than usual. Freshman students are out on their own for their first time; mom isn't telling them what to eat and when to eat anymore. Therefore, many students go a little junk food crazy. I was determined to not be one of the students that gained fifteen pounds while being away at school. Living in the dorms makes this really hard but I found a great way to make my eating habits much healthier. I bought myself a mini fridge to put in my room and I would stock bread, lunch meat, fruit, and other easy snacks. Also, i would buy crackers and pretzels to have to snack on while doing homework. Now, instead of always eating pizza, pasta, hamburgers, or other high fat foods available in the cafeteria, I would have at least one healthy meal a day. Of course, I also included exercise into my daily routine. Once you move into an apartment, it makes it much easier to make your own meals and not have to visit the cafeteria at all. I actually cancelled my meal card and decided to use the money to go grocery shopping to buy and prepare my own meals. The main recipes that I would prepare for myself included; chicken meals, pastas, ground turkey meals, soups, salmon, tuna, etc. Some recipes that I found very healthy and delicious i found at this website:
http://www.mademan.com/mm/5-healthy-recipes-college-students.html
I highly recommend the better tuna sandwich!! Very good!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment