Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Gatorade before a run?
Many people have different views on whether to drink Gatorade before or after a run. Of course it is very important to remain hydrated before and during your run, but some people believe that Gatorade has too much sugar and may cause cramping during a run. I personally prefer to make a drink that is half water and half Gatorade. This way I still have the benefits of the electrolytes in the Gatorade, but the water makes the sugar a little less intense on my stomach. Drinking just water before a run can be inadequate for your body when you are about to run. Gatorade provides your body with not only electrolytes, but also carbohydrates that help you run those longer distances. Gatorade is not necessarily important for runners that are running less than sixty minutes. When you are running for a short amount of time, you are less likely to have a decrease in your electrolytes. Gatorade is only necessary for runners who are running long distances. I have heard many people suggest that you should also not drink Gatorade right before you are about to run. Drink Gatorade about an hour before you plan on running so your stomach is allowed time to settle. Usually, I drink my Gatorade in the morning before I leave to go to my race. Furthermore, many runners believe that drinking Gatorade after a run is beneficial because it allows the body to heal itself quicker. You can find more information on Gatorade at their website:
Source:
"What Is Better for Runners: Water or Gatorade?" LIVESTRONG.COM. Web. 27 Mar. 2012. .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment